Make a search if you cannot find what you are looking for.
|Sony/Alpha Full Frame Lenses: 300mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 or200mm f/2.8? (Photo)|
|Written by Nature Sniper|
|Friday, 03 August 2007|
Sony has also made available, via hard-to-find areas of international websites, images of the next round of Sony SAL lenses to hit the market. Details of the specifications have been leaked, probably from the June 2007 meetings in Japan. All the new lenses are full-frame, confirming the rumours that the ‘A-500′ due in 2008 will be a full-frame or 1.1X model
The 400mm f/4.5 and 600mm f/4 Sony SAL G (D) apochromatic telephotos were known to be in the pipeline from the start. They are revised versions of the classic Minolta G glass, and are presumed to use SSM sonic motor focusing because it was known that Konica Minolta already planned to incorporate SSM into these long lenses. However the prototypes shown and photographed may be a 300mm f/4 and 600mm f/4, or even a 200mm f/2.8 (looking at the size of the AF hold button on the smaller lens). The relative size of the mount, the tripod collar handgrip and the rear filter slot indicate that the larger lens is the 600mm. Statements that the smaller one is a 400mm f/4 seem very unlikely judging from the mount size and the tripod collar. It looks most like a new 300mm f/4 but could be a focal length we have not seen before, like 240mm or 280mm, or an aperture like f/3.5 instead of f/4.
One visitor to PMA who has contacted me remains sure that the larger lens will be a 400mm f/2.8 because its size is so similar to the Canon of that specification. Because of the length of the lens hood, which reveals no front glass in other views of the lens, it is impossible to tell.
The grab handle is identically positioned to the 600mm f/4 and although the rear barrel sections are stepped in different thicknesses, their overall length and scale relative to the filter (dummy) slot and rear mount, and the control buttons, all compare directly to the old 600mm f/4. However, a 400mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 share the same approximate front group size. It just looks rather long for a 400mm given advanced in lens design.
Text and Imges from PhotoClubAplha.com
Images from WATCH-Japan
- Sony Alpha 100
- Sony to sell Compact Flash
- Editorial: PMA Vaporware Wrap-Up
- IDC reports on 2006 digicam market
- Sony launches Memory Stick PRO-HG memory cards
- New Sony Alpha, but when?
- Sony poaches Nikon executive to boost DSLR business
- 12.2MP Sony A700 announced
- Press Release: Sony A700
- Update: Adobe Camera Raw 4.2
- Sony A700 High ISO Sample Photos (ISO 3200-ISO 6400)
- Sony A700 Firmware Upgrade
- Press Release: Opening of 1st Dedicated Imaging and Photography Event in South East Asia and the Pac
- Canon EOS 450D, 5D Mark II, 7D coming?
- Sony DSLR-A700 Camera Firmware Version 3 Update
- Sony Alpha 200 (A200) Photos Leaked
- Sony Alpha 200 (DSLR-A200) Announced.
- Sony Alpha 200 (A200) ISO 100 - ISO 3200 Sample Photos
- Sony Alpha 200 (A200) Beijing Launch Sample Photos
- Sony-FIFA Partnership Agreement (2007-2014)
- Sony Alpha-LV (Live View) Coming Soon?
- Sony New Flash, 70-300G SSM and Carl Zeiss 24-70 F2.8
- Sony releases 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duo
- Download Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 User Manual
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Chinese Advertisement
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Real World Sample Photo (ISO200-3200)
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Review with 100% Cropped Sample Photos
- Sony Alpha Korea Commercial (DSLR-A700 & DSLR-A200)
- PMA08: Canon's EF200mm f/2L IS USM and EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lenses Launching
- Sony DSLR-A300 and DSLR-A350 at PMA08?
- PMA08: Sunex to Exhibit at Las Vegas PMA 2008, Jan 31-Feb 2
- Nikon D60 Leaked Press Release
- Nikon to 24mm T/S, AF-S 60mm micro and 16-85mm VR?
- PMA08: TamronLaunch SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO (Model A001)
- Sony A300 and A350 Camera Body Photos
- Nikon D60 Official Sample Photos
- PMA08: Sony Develops Full-Frame 24.81-Megapixel CMOS Sensor
- PMA08: Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 and DLSR A350 Announced
- PMA08: Vario Sonnar T* 24-70mm f/2.8 ZA for Sony Alpha announced
- PMA08: Sony Alpha 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G Announced
- PMA08: Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 EX DG
- PMA08: PENTAX Announces Pro Program
- PMA08: Manufacturers Report
- First Look: Sony DSLR-A350 Sample Photo 100% Cropped
- Sony DSLR-A350 High ISO Sample Photo 100% Cropped
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Official Sample Photo
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar F2.8 24-70mm ISO100-ISO 3200 Sample
- Vario-Sonnar T * 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Lens Test
- Photokina 2008: Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Full Frame Unveiled
- PIE2008: Sony Showcased Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
- Sony Alpha DSLR Commercial
- Sony SAL70300G Lens Review and Sample Photos
- Sony Announces HVL-F58AM Flash Unit
- Sony Alpha a900 Full Frame Confirmed on 10 September 2008
- Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Confirmed?
- Photokina 2008: Sony Unveils Vario Sonnar T* 16-35mm f/2.8
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Indoor Portrait with 100% Cropped
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 ISO100-ISO6400 100% Cropped Comparison
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Wide Angle Sample Photos 100% Cropped
- PhotoPlus 2008: Sony Announces Professional Photographer Program